This quick and simple cake recipe dates back to the great depression. By necessity it includes no milk, eggs or substitutes. Unlike many vegan cakes, it is actually really good. I have received many compliments on it.
The resulting cake is rich, moist and not excessively sweet. Add additional sugar if you’d prefer a sweeter cake. I personally like to add a bit of extra cocoa powder.
- 1.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (*I use Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil (*Can be any type of vegetable oil)
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda and salt.
- Make three wells in the flour mixture.
- In one put vanilla; in another the vinegar, and in the third the oil.
- Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened.
- Pour into 8 x 8-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly.
I don’t bite, but I do make vanity pages on the internet.